sandbaggers: Re: Neil and Secretaries

Re: Neil and Secretaries

kyost@nomvs.lsumc.edu
07 Sep 94 16:29:17 -0700

On Tuesday, 6 September 1994, Nicole wrote:

> I had a totally different take on that scene and the others where Karen
> and Neil are together. Neil is very clear, with Jeff, Willie, and
> Karen,that certain subjects are OFF LIMITS. He puts up warning signs, do
> not trespass, keep out, do not leave the path - and they ignore him .
> (stuff deleted)... s
> ... He's not even nasty about it at
> first, but Karen keeps pushing. Just because someone cares or is
> concerned doesn't give them the right to run roughshod over very clearly
> expressed wants.

But that's just it: everything has to be on Neil's terms, his wants
and needs. You are right: no does mean no and Jeff is probably
the worst one about ignoring Neil's warning signs, but for goodness
sakes, no one enjoys having their concern for someone thrown
back in their face. I don't believe Karen ever did anything
so horrible to be called a bitch (thank goodness he didn't
say that to her face). Neil is not a diplomat and appears
to be an expert at driving people away.

> Now it is over a year since Laura bought it, but there is no time limit on
> grief. If he were a more balanced character, he'd have somehow gotten
> over it, but he isn't, which is what makes him so attractive as a puzzle.
> And his bitterness about Karen alive vs Laura dead is irrational,
> but explicable and understandable.

I don't believe Neil's behavior here is understandable. I would
never set any time limit for grief; everyone is different and some
people never get over the death of a loved one. But is it healthy
to dislike someone or avoid someone just because they're alive?
I maybe reading way too much into that scene (goodness, I'm
horrible at remembering episode names), but to me Neil seemed to
blame Karen for being alive; how can she help that? Neil may be
suffering guilt for making THE decision to have Laura killed and
refocusing his guilt/anger towards others?????

> (stuff deleted)... e
> manages to tell Diane to "Get someone as good as you", a fine backhanded
> complement. I like their relationship, because there is a lot of humor
> there. Diane might not like how the agents change in their jobs, but she
> and Neil almost 'play' once in a while, like when she goes for the phone
> defying him to get ti first. Marianne specifically tells him "I wanted to
> work for *you*". (stuff deleted)...

Yes, I think Neil and Diane had a good relationship. I recall times
where she made *inquiring phone calls* for Neil. I wish the
series had continued a bit more so we could see just how Neil
and Marianne got along.

Thanks for responding, Nicole. This list has gone kaput recently.

Karen Yost