sandbaggers: Re: Belinda and Diane

Re: Belinda and Diane

kyost@nomvs.lsumc.edu
12 Sep 94 12:26:06 -0700

On Sunday, 11 September 1994, Nicole wrote:

First, Nicole, thanks for posting Ian Macintosh's discription of
young Neil Burnside. I wish fan writers would explore the
possibility of a young, sensitive SandBagger before life's
harsh experiences warped him.

> > Diane calls Burnside "Neil" at one point -- NO other subordinate does
> > this. Willy calls him "boss," Alan called him "sir," Laura calls him
> > "sir."
>
> Good point. Altho his relationship with Willie is pretty casual. Wonder
> what Willie called him in the Hutch? "Number One"? Willie likes to use
> nicknames, as when he calls Diane "Boss's Slaive".
Nicole, you're a BLAKE'S 7 fan, aren't you? On B7, fans
make a big deal about how characters are addressed: first
name or last name, male vs. female, etc. Compared to
B7, the Sandbaggers is very informal. 'C,' Peele and
Wellingham usually call D.Ops Neil unless they're
angry with him :-) Neil very rarely calls Willie, Caine,
but the officials upstairs do. Mike is just plain Mike,
or Sandbagger Two officially, very rarely Wallace. It's
kind of odd, but refreshing too after the formality of B7.
Karen Yost

PS: Secretaries, administrative assistants and PAs everywhere
would have applauded your vivid description of their varied
and important duties. I think a lot of people come to realise the
worst person to have out of the office is the secretary; he/she
knows just about every routine in the work place.