sandbaggers: Re: Lots o' posts

Re: Lots o' posts

Luxueil (jlv@halcyon.com)
Mon, 12 Sep 1994 20:02:38 -0700 (PDT)

On 12 Sep 1994 karen wrote:
> likes his own daughter! Wellingham seems to be very easy going
> with Neil, the man who jilted his daughter. I wonder how many
> father-in-laws remain in a friendly (or professional) relationship
> with their EX son-in-laws?

Now, now, it was *Belinda* who divorced Neil, one of the reasons he's so
damn bitter about her. And I know several parental units who chose to
remain close to their no-longer-in-law son or daughter, because in truth
they like the ex-spouse better than the blood relation. Wellingham is
exasperated by Belinda, especially noticeable in Special Relationship
when he is begging Neil to take her out for a drink, or he'll go mad.

> thing personal or professional with him. I think I'll just throw
> out all of the above and simply say that Wellingham *liked* Neil.

And Lady Wellingham? She certainly could push some of Neil's buttons,
moreso than I would think their interaction merited. When they meet for a
drink to discuss Sir Geoffrey's disappearance, Neil shreads a cigarette
pack; he usually doesn't play with things like that when he's upset.
Obviously, she likes him too. Neil also accused Wellingham of marrying
for money, I think in the 'I am your mirror' scene. And Lady W
essentially offers promotion to go along with the marraige if he should
take Belinda back. So Neil has (or had) something they really like,
something we (or at least I) don't see. Must be related to what he was
like before we know him. (I agree, Karen, he'd not be a good companion;
but I can also understand him wanting some stable base to come home to
without realizing the effort he'd have to put into it, too.)

> And had his relationship progressed with Laura, I think Neil would have
> acted the same way: work first, people second (if at all). It's just his
> way. Has it always been Neil's way, I don't think so...
> Am I being too harsh on Neil?

Nope. Eventually, he would have come to his senses and forbidden her to
work (looking for that old-fashioned girl?)...or she'd figure out that he
was married far more securely to SIS than could ever be possible with
another person... Somehow, I don't think Neil has done the thinking and
planning about this op with Laura that he'd insist on for his
Sandbaggers. ;-)

Ernest opined:
> However... we have to face the fact that it's a pink-collar ghetto despite
> that. They don't get the high pay, and they have to do typing and make
> coffee -- and SERVE it, even worse. Is their work important? Absolutely.
> Is it prestigious? Well, no.

Hmm...maybe I have bad color on my tapes, but Sandy serves coffee to C and
guests, and he doesn't wear a pink collar. DC's PA is male, as well. Like
I said, within SIS PA to C is the job with the most responsibility and
clearance a non-agent, non-inside tracker can get. Now if Marianne
eventually wears Neil down, and gets into field school, and does a
creditable job as a Station #2, maybe opts for a short tour as a
Sandbagger, and has the right family connections, by 1989 *she* might be
D-OPS, or Deputy Chief by '95.

And just an itty-bitty nit to pick - in one sense, prestige is only
possible when one's actions are known by many; therefore, no one in SIS
has any, since their work, when done well, is unknown. ;-)

Nicole, who thanks those of you who have been posting. The rest of you,
on your bikes!

Blessed are those of us who can laugh at ourselves, for we shall never
cease to be amused.