Date: Sun, 17 Sep 1995 21:19:33 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Burnside as hero
To: Sandbaggers List <sandbaggers@skylee.com>

On Mon, 18 Sep 1995 p.nussman@genie.geis.com wrote:

> Wellingham, yes. I couldn't help liking him, even though I considered him
> much more calculating and manipulating than Neil could be even on his worst
> days. Sometimes I thought Wellingham saw Neil as basically good material,
> but too naive to ever rise to the top. Kind of boggles the mind to think of
> someone so cynical that he could consider Burnside naive!

Hmmm....interesting, Pat. I consider Wellingham much saner and
more reasonable than Neil, far less manipulative, generally more open and
direct. I think he's even smarter, and can play the game better than
Neil when it's necessary. He's a politician out for his own ends and
advancement in a way that is somewhat slimier than Neil's finaglings,
which is about the only thing I dislike in him more - no, he's more of an
old school snob than Neil. His attitude about Willie is bigoted and
stupid. I do presume, without much series support, that if Wellingham
had Neil's job, he'd also be concerned about his Sandbaggers. He
certainly has more people in his life that he cares about than Neil.
Wellingham can be naive too, slightly. He doesn't want to believe the
upper crust fellows are selling out to the Russians, but he bemoans it
only briefly before trying to deal with things realistically. I'd never
argue that Wellingham isn't often a cold son of a bitch, but I think Neil
is far colder, and far more of a conniver by nature.

Gayle