sandbaggers: Re: is SIS real?

Re: is SIS real?

Kenton A. Hoover (shibumi@cisco.com)
Mon, 25 Sep 1995 10:22:33 -0700

>On Fri, 22 Sep 1995 12:47:08 -0700, Kenton wrote:
>> >On Thu, 21 Sep 1995 08:15:53 -0700, I wrote:
>> >P.S.: Another author people should check out is Len Deighton. I like
>> > his Bernard Samson novels more than Le Carre and are a bit
>> > more in the Sandbaggers line. Try "Mexico Game", the first
>> > of the first trilogy. You might like it.
>>
>> Berlin Game, Mexico Set, I believe.
>
> Yes, my mistake. They are:
>
> Berlin Game
> Mexico Set
> London Match
>
> the second trilogy is:
>
> Spy Hook
> Spy Line
> Spy Sinker
>
> Deighton also wrote the Harry Palmer books, which were made into
>films in the 1960s (I think) starring Michael Caine. He is also the author
>of "SS-GB" an espionage book set in England after the Germans conquered
>the country in World War II. He also has a stand alone book which I liked
>called "XPD" which is an intelligence shorthand for Expedient Demise.
>
> Ken Crist
> kayuucee@cfar.umd.edu

"Harry Palmer" books:
The Ipcress File [made into a movie]
Funeral in Berlin [made into a movie]
Spy Story
The Billion Dollar Brain [made into a movie] (book out of print in the US)

SS-GB is another book. Its a alternate history piece -- 'what if Germany
won the second world war?' I find myself confusing its plotline with that
of 'Fatherland'.

XPD is not standalone. If you read 'Winter', you find the plotlines of the
Bernie Sampson books connected with XPD and I'm not sure but it might
connect part of the "Harry Palmer" series as well.

I've never really enjoyed this need of authors to clean up all of the loose
ends in divergent books, but Len Deighton has done a reasonable job of it.

| Kenton A. Hoover Staff Technologist | shibumi@cisco.com |
| Engineering Computer Services | |
| cisco Systems, Inc. | +1 408 526 5249 |
| "Fifty percent of the companies that lose critical business systems for |
| 10 or more days never recover. Ever." |
| -- PC Week, Febraury 6, 1995, page 129 |