Sandbaggers: Re: Callan

Re: Callan

Kenton A. Hoover (shibumi@cisco.com)
Tue, 28 Jan 1997 16:38:37 +0530

Sure, if you want to send me a VCR -- don't happen to have one here with me
(I'm only a temporary resident).

At 07:45 -0500 27/1/97, Micky DuPree wrote:
>My God. Can you tape it? I've been looking for first-gen. uncut
>copies for years.
>
>It was Michael Sloan's inspiration for "The Equalizer," but "Callan"
>is much better, much darker, and is acknowledged as one of the
>precursors to SB in espionage fiction. It's not as realistic as SB,
>but I don't think it was really meant to be.

He always seems to be killing off current or former friends. Or has
current or former friends turning on him.

>The point of the story was to repeatedly put Callan between a moral
>rock and a hard place.

Perhaps. Unfortunately, he has the Robert Mitchum/John Wayne syndrome of
always seeming to play the same character. With the exception of "The
Wicker Man", in which the parts of his character which were the same were
being held up for ridicule.

>I think it was some of Edward Woodward's best work, and he had an
>excellent supporting cast.

| Kenton A. Hoover / Engineering Services | shibumi@cisco.com |
| Offshore Development Center | |
| Cisco Systems, Inc. / Chennai (Madras), INDIA | +91 44 621 1784 |
| In India, "cold weather" is merely a conventional phrase and has come |
| into use through the necessity of having some way to distinguish between |
| weather which will melt a brass door-knob and weather which will only |
| make it mushy. |
| -- Mark Twain |