Re: work for Neil; get shot

Jason Potapoff (jpotapof@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca)
Sun, 31 Aug 1997 13:44:01 -0600 (MDT)

On Sat, 30 Aug 1997, Timothy Keirnan wrote:

> I'm glad to read that our UK listmembers will be able to see SB again on tv.
>
> Something I've been thinking about lately is how personally doomed the
> Special Section was with Burnside as its director. Over the course of 20
> episodes, only Mike was still standing when the dust cleared. Neil himself
> mentioned how rare it was for a Sandbagger to be killed in the line of duty
> until his tenure as Director began.
>
> My question is: was it worth it? Maybe we can't even judge, but to me the
> huge waste in human lives is unforgiveable. One expects SIS to be a more
> dangerous career than other jobs, but good Lord, look at how all of
> Burnside's people paid very high prices for working with him. I love SB but
> the more I see it over the years the more uncomfortable I feel about Neil's
> management of the section. Or maybe I'm just getting old :-)

Well there is a different factor. IN the previous years the Sandbaggers
were much better funded. In the time period that the show covered, the
section has considerably less money to work with along with less political
power. So they were forced to take more chances that they did in previous
years. And that's part of the reason why there were many more deaths in
Burnside's period of command compared to earlier times.

### ./\. ### JASON POTAPOFF. Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
### _|\| |/|_ ### Email: jpotapof@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
### \ / ### "Life... it's like a box of chocolates. A
### >______< ### cheap, thoughtless perfunctory gift that
### / ### nobody ever asks for."