RE: Tapes

Adams, Ernest (eadams@ea.com)
Wed, 4 Feb 1998 11:23:08 -0800

James I Lee wrote:

> Does anyone else find Jeff Ross a very exaggerated character?
> Maybe it's because I'm American and I don't know anyone as brash
> as Mr. Ross. It seems as if Jeff is a "cartoon American".

I agree. Ross is pretty bad, although most American portrayals of
British people on TV are FAR worse, usually huffing and spluttering
Colonel Blimp types with outrageous accents. Of course, the other thing
that really stands out today is his casual sexual harrassment of Karen
Milner. Unfortunately, this rings true to me -- bear in mind that it WAS
20 years ago. Nowadays Karen would have complained, Ross would have
ended up with a note in his personnel file (at a minimum), and his
career would have ground to a halt.

The McDonalds hamburger-eating scene was really over the top, though. I
don't seriously believe you can get to be CIA station chief for London
with manners as bad as that.