Re: Cliffhanger endings...

David Conner (dconner@bellatlantic.net)
Fri, 06 Feb 1998 00:35:34 -0800

Adams, Ernest wrote:

> Then of course there's the way Blake's 7 ended, in which they shot damn
> near EVERYONE in the final episode... they were going to sort out the
> living from the dead in the next season, when the actors had decided if
> they wanted to continue on the show, but there WAS no next season.
>
> Personally, I think season-ending major-character-death cliffhangers are
> dumb. If the show does continue, then the explanation for the outcome is
> usually lame; if it doesn't continue, then it just leaves everyone
> unhappy and wondering about it. Remember all the fuss over "who shot
> J.R."? Suppose the show hadn't continued? People would have gone ape.

Is anybody else here a fan of the show "Crime Story?" It had *two* such
cliffhangers. The producers thought the show would be cancelled after its first
season, and wrote the season ender with that in mind. In that episode, the series
villain Ray Luca has what seems to be the most final, irrevocable death possible -
killed in a nuclear explosion!

Then, the series was unexpectedly renewed, and Ray returned, looking only slightly
worse for wear, with some greying of the temples, but otherwise OK.... That season,
which did turn out to be the last, ended similarly, with the four main characters
all apparently dying in a small plane that crashes into the water at very high speed
and at a very unhealthy angle.

"Crime Story" was an excellent show - by the same producer who did "Miami Vice"
contemporaneously, but receiving about 1/10 of the attention.

Incidentally, Anthony Denison, who played Luca, went on to star in ABC's short-lived
series about the CIA, "Under Cover." Anybody else see that one? It only ran for
something like 6 episodes, and the network kept moving its time slot even with such
a short run. It was really quite good, though - sort of an American "Sandbaggers"
in a way.