Re: a question of rank

Philip H. J. Davies (P.H.J.Davies@reading.ac.uk)
Sat, 28 Feb 1998 03:11:18 +0000 (GMT)

Sorry I haven't added much lately, but I'm now in Singapore lecturing, and
only access my Reading account occasionally.

This query caught my attention, and in real-world terms it's something lik
this:

Wellingham as PUS/FCO would be a Permanent Secretary (even though is title
is traditionally Permanent *Under*secretary), which is a formal rank
within the British Civil Service as well as a job description within the
FCO. Greenley as C (o CSS) would hold a rank equavalent to the Civil
Service rank of Deputy Undersecretary (as I recall off hand) as is the
case with the current C, Sir David Spedding. One former C, Sir John
Rennie (1968-1973) listed his position in *Who's Who* as 'equival;ent to
Major-General', much to the amusement of colleagues and the press. This
would make CSS subordinate to the PUS/FCO, although the two men are
usually of a common *status* and seniority, i.e. top of their respective
p[rofessions./

Phil

On Thu, 5 Feb 1998, Mark Foss wrote:

> Date: Thu, 5 Feb 1998 09:46:47 -0500 (EST)
> From: Mark Foss <mhfoss@web.apc.org>
> To: sandbaggers@skylee.com
> Subject: a question of rank
>
> >On Wed, 4 Feb 1998, Anton Sherwood wrote:
> >
> >> One curious exception to the rank-rule is in "It Can't Happen Here",
> >> where for once we see C (Greenley) and Wellingham together:
> >> W: "I say, James, I seem to have gone deaf."
> >> C: "What's that, Geoffrey?"
> >>
> Jason writes:
> >
> > Weren't they pretty close to being equal in rank?
> >
> >I would agree. They were both knighted, and of the same age and, probably,
> class.

"I'm curious, Doctor Daystrom. Why Babylon *Five*?"

"Babylons One through Four were not entirely successful."