Re: Warship

Jean Curley (jeancurley@delphi.com)
Fri, 30 Apr 1999 05:49:22 -0400

Chris Drew wrote:
> I have also located (and purchased) a book entitled _Holt RN_ -
> based on the TV series "Warship" by the Screenwriter for most
> of the Sandbagger series.
>
> Has anyone seen a tv series entitled "Warship"? Or know anything
> at all about it.

Blatantly plagarized from the _Guiness Book of Classic British TV_,
second edition, pg 400-401:

"Ian MacKintosh: A former naval officer, MacKintosh used his previous
occupation to great effect creating _Warship_ for the BBC in 1973 with
veteran Anthony Coburn. Telling the story of the frigate HMS _Hero_ and
its crew, the series was a popular one, running for four years, and
marked a direct collaboration between the BBC and the Royal Navy.
Moving to Yorkshire TV as a script-editor, MacKintosh created the superb
espionage series _The Sandbaggers_ (starring Roy Marsden, Ray Lonnen and
Diane Keen). As producer, he was responsible for the charming 1978
comedy-drama _Wilde Alliance_ (with John Stride and Julia Foster), and
_Thundercloud_, a naval comedy set during World War II with Derek
Waring. Whilst researching an episode of _The Sandbaggers_, MacKintosh
went missing when his light aircraft disappeared over Alaska."

Blatantly plagiarized from Tise Vahimagi's _British Television, second
edition, page 215:

"_Warship_ (BBC-1, 1973-1977) was a drama series about the adventures of
the frigate HMS _Hero_ and her crew, viewed for the most part from the
officer's station. The 45 eps x 50 mins series was devised by Ian
MacKintosh and Anthony Coburn (the latter also produced; later Joe
Waters). The programme featured (l. to r. [pretend there's a picture
here]) Brian Jameson, Don Henderson, Graeme Eton, Donald Burton, David
Savile, and John Lee; Bryan Marshall and Derek Godfrey also appeared.
The programme also represented an unprecedented collaboration between
the navy and the BBC (with the navy supplying the use of a real warship
for production)."

Unfortunately, it wasn't an ITV drama, so I don't have an episode guide
for the series.

HTH; let us know what you think of the book --

Jean

--
"Transported to a surreal landscape, a young girl kills the first woman
she meets, then teams up with three complete strangers to kill again."