Re: Anton's tapes

Gayle Feyrer (agile@crl.com)
Sun, 2 May 1999 09:37:53 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 1 May 1999, Mark Foss wrote:

> its toadies) wins; sometimes it's circumvented by Neil. But neither side is
> clean. Each pursues its own aims. In Episode 2, Neil and Wellingham are
> presented as mirrors for each other (Remember that great shot where Neil (I
> think) walks up the staircase into Wellingham's shadow?) In later, post-Laura

I've never noticed this! It's just the sort of visual I love,
that SB usually doesn't bother with (thank god for the wonderfully nuanced
acting to make up for the shots from one side of a desk to the other).

> Oh how I envy those who are about to discover 7-20 for the first time...
> Everything that follows hinges on Laura's death. Enjoy...

I think the Laura arc is the most powerful thing in the show, but
there are many wonderful eps. Even though it's a more intellectual
pleasure, for me Kingmaker is the best written ep. Cruel but wonderfully
funny! I still laugh every time Neil drives with Peel to the restaurant.
Such lovely twists.

I also particularly like the episode after Laura's death - Enough
of Ghosts - or does that just seem the appropriate title? Though it's
such a wrenching episode, I can't watch it often. All In a Good Cause,
and Who Needs Enemies are also beautifully written, with Kingmaker style
convolutions.

Gayle