Re: laura

Mark Foss (mhfoss@web.net)
Tue, 04 May 1999 12:54:54 -0400

Hmmm,

I think Laura was perfect for the Sandbaggers in lots of different ways.
Think of the Most Suitable Person episode where she's compared to the
James
Bond wannabe, Colin Grove. She's level headed, intelligent and can see
through the notions of romantic glamour. On a more psychoanalytic level,
Diane (Neil's secretary) would probably say she's got the right stuff
because she's emotionally bottled up. Remember her line to Neil about
what
makes a Sandbagger: something about people who can't love so they try to
get
it through respect. ("I'll get those pictures, boss." Famous last
words.)
Neil and Laura are drawn to each other because at some unconscious level
they know the other is incapable of giving love. They desperately want
love,
but they also fear it. It's a match made in heaven.

Mark