Re: Jeff Ross

Gayle Feyrer (agile@crl.com)
Fri, 7 May 1999 07:36:01 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 7 May 1999, Mark Foss wrote:

> I think Jeff is as close to a friend as Neil has. There's Willie, but he's
> a subordinate (although they used to be equals as Sandbaggers 1 and 2). Neil
> will trust Willie on some issues, but Jeff is more likely to be a
> confidente. Think of the walks through the park; how Jeff encourages him to
> go to a movie or do something besides work, how he "keeps throwing Karen at
> him." In Who Needs Enemies, Neil talks to Jeff about being an embarrassment
> to SIS, how he doesn't fit in. (He still gets up when he hears the national
> anthem, etc.) Neil wouldn't say these things to Willie.

This struck some sparks of curiosity in me, as it's one of those
things I've noticed without really studying. Neil's treatment of Willie
varies a good deal, and maybe there is an internal consistency that I've
missed. Sometimes there is a legitimate superior to subordinate level of
secrecy, which I could respect (except Neil does tell Willie stuff he
shouldn't). Sometimes, as with hiding his plans about Laura's
assassination, or wanting to set up the African assassination for himself,
it's obvious why Neil wouldn't admit what's going on. But there are
numerous times where Willie is perfectly aware of what's going on, or that
something is going on, and Neil refuses to give him his confidence (earned
many times over) for no reason I can see, since he does do it on other
occassions.

It seems to me that Willie is a much better friend than Jeff, who
really does care for Neil, who's not given his due either as that friend,
or as someone Neil thinks could ascend to his position (we do see Willie
carry off Neil's job, and I prefer the savvy Willie to the dumber one,
myself). Willie also urges Neil to relax, but he's not as intrusive a
person as Jeff. There is the friendship of equal rank with Jeff, but I
think Willie understands the pressures of the job on Neil better than
Jeff, since he's known him longer.

Anyone else's take on this?

Gayle