sandbaggers: Re: Burnside as hero

Re: Burnside as hero

jpotapof@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
Mon, 18 Sep 1995 15:53:50 -0600 (MDT)

On Sun, 17 Sep 1995, JONATHAN TRACY wrote:

> I don't know if this is actually an active list--I haven't seen any
> posts since I joined a week ago. I just wondered if everyone agreed

Ya, I subscribed to this mailing list a few months ago and there was
some messages at that time but there hasn't been any for a while.

> with me that Burnside was, fundamentally, heroic (if tragically so)--
> sacrificing personal happiness and the comfort of an unburdened
> conscience for his ideal of duty.

I agree with you to a degree. There are some heroism in Burnside's
actions, and not just his dedication to his job but for his incredible
skill as well. But I find it hard to really call him a hero. He was a
real bastard, and did a lot of "evil like" things (all in the name of
country, but evil none-the-less). I think Burnside is better described
as an anti-hero.

> I was also wondering if everyone
> else enjoyed as much as I did the friendship/suspicion/manipulation
> interaction between Burnside and his ex-father-in-law.

Yes, I loved the interplay between Burnside and Wellingham. That was a
very interesting relationship, and added a lot of memorable scenes to the
show. (but then again what WASN'T memorable in The Sandbaggers?)

JASON POTAPOFF. Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Email: jpotapof@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
Dulcius ex asperis.