sandbaggers: Re: Burnside as hero

Re: Burnside as hero

jpotapof@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
Mon, 18 Sep 1995 16:11:16 -0600 (MDT)

On 17 Sep 1995, Keirnan Tim wrote:

> Something I'm still dying to know is what happened to Burnside after the last
> episode. Personally, I mean. After trying to bust up the talks, his career
> seemed in the bin; but after Caine's misfortune in Malta, would Neil have
> *felt* anything? Opinions, anyone?

Hard to say... On one hand you could say Neil would just let it go much
like he did with his girlfriend (her name escapes me at the moment, I
know it'll come to me as soon as I log off). He basically wrote it off
as something that is a part of the buisness, it isn't his job to get
upset over the death of his agents. But on the other hand Caine was
special. He worked with him for such a long time, both as a Sandbagger
and as a DOps. Also things could just have mounted up, first his
girlfriend, then the director of Intelligence is a double agent, then Caine,
his career seems to be in the toliet, maybe it wuld finally get to him?
I would like to think the apparent death of Caine would adversly affect
him, but then again wouldn't it be like him to just shrug it off?
Of course this is providing Caine is dead. When they were going to
start up a 4th season of The Sandbaggers Caine was going to come back,
but be confined to a wheel chair. They toyed with the idea of Caine
tacking over DOps and Burnside returning to Sandbagger duty. But
unfortunatly the producers decided not to give it a go, saying that they
weren't satisfied with the episodes that Ian Mackintosh's replacements
did. I found that a little annoying as I didn't think the non-Mackintosh
episodes were that much less in quality than Mackintosh's episodes. But
then again maybe over the longer haul of a full season it wouldn't have
worked out as well. So maybe it was the right decision. I certainly
don't want to see The Sandbaggers come back unless the episodes were as
good (or nearly as good) as the ones Mackintosh did. That's why I didn't
mind that much when they (a few of the main actors) tried to get the
series going again, but it didn't come to fruitation.

JASON POTAPOFF. Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Email: jpotapof@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
Dulcius ex asperis.