sandbaggers: Re: Observations/Questions

Re: Observations/Questions

Jason Potapoff (jpotapof@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca)
Tue, 12 Mar 1996 10:07:26 -0700 (MST)

On Mon, 11 Mar 1996, Tennessee Primary Care Association wrote:

> (1) In episode 12 - It's Couldn't Happen Here, in the final scene Burnside
> makes an elaborate speech to Wellingham about why assassinaiton shouldn't
> happen in the UK--once you have opened the door you can't close it, etc.
> Then he walks over to Willie and they begin discussing the plan to
> assassinate Stratford-Baker in Singaporet. My questions are: Is the speech
> just a con to convince Wellingham he is being a good boy? Does he believe
> that as long as it isn't done on British soil it is okay? Or is he just
> being his usual paradoxical self--unaware that he has just said one thing
> and intends to do the opposite?

I think Burnside truely believed what he was saying to Wellingham. That
once the door is open, allowing an assasination of "one of their own", no
matter how neccesarry, will make it easier for the next guy. Not too
mention start a cover up operation by the government, which gets bigger
and bigger as the years go by. But he also knew that he had to fix the
problem, and the only solution was assasination. So while Burnside knew
the consequences of his actions, he ended up doing it anyways because he
had a job to do.

> (3) The most (perhaps the only?) admirable trait about Burnside is his
> loyalty to the Sandbaggers. This, of course, is double-edged, since he will
> cause havoc and, in the case of Alan Denson, cause suicide, to keep them and
> protect them. This example shows that the true motive is often a selfish one.

Exactly. What a great main character eh? His most admirable trait is
being so good at and loyal to a job that really is pretty immoral and
could be considered evil. Now THAT is revolutionary television. The
good guys aren't really good guys if you think about it. But even more
amazingly, we still end up cheering for them even though we know we would
consider them evil in the real world.

> (4) I think this may have been discussed before but let me say it again. I
> think the relationship with Laura was good for Neil because she was in "the
> business." It wouldn't have worked otherwise. Belinda obviously had no
> concept of what he did, although I'm sure that was the least of their
> problems. His whole attitude towards women is so appalling I don't even want
> to get into it.

I think his attitude towards people in general is pretty much
appalling. I would say he's more indifferent to women than sexist or
appalling. He doesn't understand women, he knows that and therefore
generally doesn't try to do anything with them.
Laura was indeed good for Neil. Not only because they both worked in
the same job, but because they were well suited for each other. Laura
understands the choices one has to make in their line of work, and was
starting to become similar to Burnside. AT the same time she wasn't
exactly like Burnside and offered something else for him. The fact that
they were so good for each other makes what happened all the more tragic.
Wow what great television!

> (8) Finally, the seeming death-wish (in terms of losing the job) that
> Burnside has is maddening at times. He seems to do himself in deliberately,
> but then they always give him another chance. I think it's because they all
> know he's good, if often foolish, and also because he will take the chances
> they dare not take themselves. One thing he has that they do not is the
> ability to see ahead to the possibility of success, where they only seem to
> be able to concentrate on what might go wrong.

I think Burnside was suicidal. Deep down he didn't really want to keep
on going (expecially after Laura died). While he couldn't actually go
through with it himself, I beleive he wanted to get fired or be forced to
retire. He some ways he hated his job, and what it forced him to do. On
the other hand, it was this death wish, that made him so good. He didn't
care whose toes he stepped on, he just wanted to get the job done and
done right. As opposed to most of the others who cared about themselves
and wanted to make sure they save their own butts. Burnside didn't really
care about what happened to himself, so he could take chances and that
made him fearless and so very good at his work.

JASON POTAPOFF. Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Email: jpotapof@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
"So, if you always wished you could sit much closer to your TV set and
watch bad SF with a mouse in your hand, TekWar is the game for you."
- Martin E. Cirulis (in a CGW Review of TekWar)