Sandbaggers: Re: What's in a name?

Re: What's in a name?

Allan Bourdius (abourdiu@fore.com)
Thu, 30 Jan 1997 15:39:24 -0500

I should think that the name was assingned at random, like most code words.

For example, Operation JUST CAUSE (the 1989 US invasion of Panama) wasn't
called JUST CAUSE until after the operation started. The original military
code name for it was BLUE SPOON. Code words are assigned such that the code
bears no reference to the actual activity. Hence, DESERT SHIELD was
originally OP-90-02, OVERLORD was the invasion of Normandy 1944, ANVIL was
the invasion of Sicily 1943, etc.

There are some noted exceptions, however. For instance, the NATO operations
plan known as REFORGER (the reinforcement of Western and Central Europe in
event of War) stood for the REturn of FORces to GERmany. However, other
war/excercise plans were known as BRIGHT STAR (Egypt), TEAM SPIRIT (Korea), etc.

IMO, "Sandbaggers" means nothing in of itself. If I recall right from the
series, the code names for the missions the Sandbaggers went on were pretty
insignificant names.

Allan

At 11:56 AM 1/30/97 -0800, you wrote:
>I'm pretty sure I know what the term "sandbaggers" means. I like to
>think of them as the people who arrive just when the situation is most
>desperate and stem the flood by "sandbagging" the river.
>
>My dictionary also suggests that "sandbagger" has a less defensive
>meaning, too: One who hits another over the head with a sandbag. Ouch.
>
>My question is, does anyone remember or know whether at any point in the
>series, Burnside or anyone else explains why the Sandbaggers are called
>the Sandbaggers?
>
>Outside the context of the series, do we know whether Ian Mackintosh or
>anyone else ever explained where they came up with the name? (And am I
>right in assuming the nickname is entirely fictional?)
>
>I'm looking forward to the list's answers, speculations, ideas, etc.
>
>Andrew
>Seattle, WA

All new computing problems must be reported to the Help Desk.
Allan Bourdius Help Desk: (412) 772-8700
System Administrator (NT Servers) Direct: (412) 772-5807
Information Systems & Services Main: (412) 772-6600
FORE Systems, Inc. Fax: (412) 772-6500
174 Thorn Hill Road Email: abourdiu@fore.com
Warrendale, PA 15086 URL: http://www.fore.com
"At the FOREfront of ATM internetworking - The ATM Experts."