RE: Callan

paynem@sky2.bskyb.com
Sun, 12 Oct 1997 11:43:41 +0000

Further thoughts on CALLAN:
1) "moral men are forced...to engage in immoral acts..and feel very guilty
about it". For Callan, yes, certainly, he was so troubled by his conscience
that he was dumped by the Section at one point..and was a constant thorn in
the side of Hunter, always demanding to know who should be killed and WHY.
Burnside, though....did he ever feel guilty? I've not seen all the episodes
yet but he always struck me as a bit of a hard, cold bastard..acting on the
side of good and right, certainly, but definitely subscribing to the "end
justifies the means" principle, and not really being at all troubled by any
suffering that may be so caused....

2) CALLAN may well have a touch of the burlesque about it (mind you, DOES
it? I don't know any spies!), but it is a DRAMA series..and a damn fine one.
Not to engage in "series bashing" (a petty and futile business), but I do
honestly think that CALLAN was better than THE SANDBAGGERS. I have not seen
a single bad episode of CALLAN, and every one holds my attention from start
to end...unfortunately, I watched a few episodes of SB after an early shift
at work (5am start!), and I'm afraid to say..they SENT ME TO SLEEP! An
unfair criticism, I know (because I was tired), but the point I'm making is
that unless I'm in the mood for SB, it can be like watching paint dry. The
plots often require major concentration..the characters are not immediately
accessible...Callan on the other hand is incredibly entertaining whilst
remaining entirely credible (to my mind at least)...the characters are SOO
well drawn..there is a rich vein of black humour there...the plots are
always edge-of-the-seat stuff. All this is also borne out by the fact that
CALLAN was immensely popular with the public, and SB...well...wasn't. On top
of this, the writing, directing, and especially acting was first class. So I
suppose what I'm saying , in a nutshell, is that while I do like SB very
much, I prefer CALLAN because it is so much more entertaining...overboard,
maybe, but damn fine, quality entertainment. And as for the plots: indeed,
most lack the complexity of SB plots, but several episodes of SB I simply
did not follow. Convoluted was NOT the word!! Maybe they will become clearer
with repeated viewings... By the way, I am NOT thick ( I have 2 degrees)!
:-)

3) A different subject: somebody else mentioned MAN IN A SUITCASE...I love
this show! It's a completely different kettle of fish, shot on 35mm film
for the mid-Atlantic market, but excellent stuff! Don't know how a die-hard
Sandbagger fan would rate it though....but personally speaking another one
of my favourites!

Regards,

Marcus.