Re: Tapes

Jason Potapoff (jpotapof@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca)
Thu, 5 Feb 1998 15:51:10 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, 5 Feb 1998, James V. Doody wrote:

> I also refuse to accept totally that Willie didn't recover from that shot,
> Joyce. It seems to me that such an ending was a classic "cliff-hanger"
> with which to end a season. If your series is renewed, to have a choice
> about whether to revive the character.
>
> By the way, I'm in Los Gatos too!

I generally consider that Willie died. As for what happened to Neil
after that, i'm torn between thinking he put it behind him like so many
other deaths and kept going on, or else he finally had enough of the job
and quit. OF course he probally would have been fired after that one
anyways... I'm not a big fan of cliff-hanger episodes where it makes it
look like a character was killed then the next season we find out the
wound looked worse than it was. Personally I have nothing against
cliff-hanger endings (hell I prefer them) just as long as they don't cop
out for the next episode. And I think it's a cop out when they make it
nearly 100% clear that the character died then turn around say "ha ha,
fooled you!". I lost most of my interest in the X-Files when they did
that with the Mulder is trapped in the train with no way out when it
explodes. Only to find out next season we find him digging out of the dirt
beside it with some lame explanation that he found a tunnel. This year
was nearly as bad when they made it look like he killed himself only to
find out at the start of the season it was someone else. (In that case I
would only have been satisifed if he was killed, either suicide or by
someone else who made it look like suicide expecially after the train
cliff-hanger).
IN another american show that had a similar ending to Sandbaggers' was
Under Suspicion. The main character is shot in the stomach with a pretty
nasty wound and the episode ends there. It was set up to be a cliff hanger
for next season or to end the series. Becuase it wasn't renewed it ended
up being a great way to end the series.

### ./\. ### JASON POTAPOFF. Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
### _|\| |/|_ ### Email: jpotapof@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
### >______< ### "Where there is much light, the shadow is deep."
### / ### - Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe