Re: Last episodes

Jason Potapoff (jpotapof@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca)
Thu, 5 Feb 1998 15:41:58 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, 5 Feb 1998, Gayle Feyrer wrote:

> Personally, I think the next to last episode is one of the
> best ones in the series, and much stronger that the last one. Since Neil
> is fighting so fiercely to retain his job in the next to last ep, it
> feels off kilter to me that he's so self-destructive in the last one.
> There's no believable way he'd keep his job defying the entire power
> structure like that. It plays into a self-destructive theme, but Neil's
> life was the service, at least his view of it, so the last ep has this
> over the top feeling to me. Also, dramatically, I think death scenes
> should be framed to wrench you - like Laura's, or Blake's in Blakes 7.
> We get that long sequence of the cars, then whacko, Willie is shot, cut
> to Neil's plane in take off. Very frustrating ep for me.

The only frustrating part of that episode to me is the knowledge that
it was the final episode. I desperatly wanted to see the next episode
after that. I have to disagree with about not being heart wrenching
enough. When they cut to the scene of the plane with the airport paging
Burnside... It felt as powerfull as any other scene in the series,
with the exception of Willie and Neil's conversation after Laura's death.
Quite possibly as powerfull as Laura's death scene.

### ./\. ### JASON POTAPOFF. Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
### _|\| |/|_ ### Email: jpotapof@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
### >______< ### "Where there is much light, the shadow is deep."
### / ### - Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe