Re: Denson's death

Mark Foss (mhfoss@web.apc.org)
Wed, 18 Mar 1998 16:51:51 -0500 (EST)

Gayle writes:

How about a round of Catch 22 with Colin Grove? That whole
>scenario is open to varied interpreations. While Colin was overstepping
the mark, he looked to be good sandbagger material to me. Not as good as
Mike, but better than Alan. While their personalities aren't alike, I
>think Neil dislikes Colin because what he did is exactly the sort of thing
>Neil would have done if he felt he hadn't proved his worth to get into the
Sandbaggers (that is conjecture, I know).

You've raised several interesting points. First, I would say that Alan had
the best marks in the school, and that, in the end, he decided to stay with
the Special Section. I'd side with Neil: he was too good to lose. He was
being manipulated by Neil, but I doubt he knew it (My conjecture!). If I
were a SB, I certainly would prefer Alan as a backup to Colin.

Second, re: Neil's dislike for Colin and the idea of "proving one's worth".
Doesn't Neil say to Willie that Grove would have to be told what to do, and
therefore wouldn't make a good Sandbagger? The events prove Neil to be
right. While Laura slogs away through newspaper clippings (unromantic view
of spy work), Colin's James Bond like quest for glory nearly costs them the
Special Relationship.

There is a place for initiative (when Willie and Karen beat the terrorists
on the airplane in Decision by Committee), but I think Neil's concern is
that a Sandbagger has to know when to act alone, and when to be a teamplayer
(More conjecture.)

Mark