Re: re Laura

Wendy & Dave Laing (wendave@ozemail.com.au)
Wed, 5 May 1999 17:45:46 +1000

> In a message dated 5/4/99 11:10:29 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
> wendave@ozemail.com.au writes:
>
> << Suddenly the rug is pulled out beneath Neil's
> feet when Laura dies. Thus begins the gradual 'disintegration of Neil
into
> 'isolation' both physically & mentally from fellow human contact. >>
>
> JKh replied:
> True -- but remember that it was Neil who pulled that rug! He was no
> innocent victim of lost love. He had Laura killed, because duty came
first.
> Reminds me of Tina Turner's song.........."What's love got to do with
it???"
> (Now I'm really dating myself--maybe no one here even remembers that one!)
>
> JKH

Well I remember that song too!! (he he) On the rug pulling part...That's
exactly my point! Neil's unbending adherence to duty, makes him pull the rug
on himself! ( I should have made that clearer in my first comment! *smile*)

It's the old tale of not being able to make a commitment to any permanent
love life or home life. He was acting like a 'besotted schoolboy,' desiring
a beautiful woman that he knew that he most likely would never get! Laura,
in her own way was also drawn to Neil, ( also through sexual attraction &
also growing respect) As a result, she committed herself to the Sandbaggers
team, which in turn put her into danger & eventual death, (ironically
through the pointing of Neil's finger!) The irony is brilliantly portrayed &
scripted! It's his blind commitment to the Sandbaggers, and the lasting
guilt & effects of Laura's death which turns Neil back into himself. I think
that such complicated & fascinating characters such as Burnside is what
makes the SB series so fascinating!

I now await for further 'broadsides' *smile*

Wendy