Re: Jeff Ross

David Conner (dconner@bellatlantic.net)
Sat, 08 May 1999 23:00:24 -0400

Jason Potapoff wrote:

> At 07:26 AM 5/8/99 EDT, Amvee@aol.com wrote:
> >
> >Ah, but those Germans didn't seek to exploit a personal friendship. I don't
> >blame Neil for being miffed at Jeff. He tried to use Neil's personal concern
> >for him to turn Neil into a stalking-horse to warn him whether his little
> >trick of targeting Trevor Darcy had been rumbled. I just don't understand
> how
> >they ever got on with each other again. Then of course shortly thereafter
> >Jeff got Wallace into a dicey situation by again using one of Neil's other
> >friendships to put the screws on Willie in "Unusual Approach".
>
> I think part of the reason why Burnside and Ross kept getting along with
> each other was for two reasons. 1) they had to. Both had information and
> resources that the other needed. And to make use of them they had to keep
> their connection going. 2) They are similar in many ways. They have
> nearly the same job, they face the same stress, and problems. So they both
> understand what the other is going through so they share a common bond.
> Both (well certainly Burnside, but probably Ross as well) don't have that
> many friends and when you have few friends you try to keep the ones you do
> have even if they did something that would normally sever the friendship.

I think they genuinely like each other, and they're very similar, but have some
significant differences too. They both have an appropriately cynical view of the
world and the way it works. But I think the difference is that Burnside is still
a closet idealist, who'll put his career on the line for a matter of principle.
Ross wouldn't, I don't think - at least not to the extent Neil does on several
occasions. He's given up tilting at windmills (if he ever did in the first
place). That difference makes their relationship interesting.