chauvinism in SB?

Timothy Keirnan (tim@denver.net)
Wed, 14 Jul 1999 07:47:39 -0600

I agree that the 70s were more chauvinistic than the 90s, but I think we
should judge the show at least in part by the time in which it was produced.
One of my
friends who loves the series is a fan partially because she's intrigued by
the quality of women characters on the show. They may not be parachuting
into the Kola Peninsula with Willie, but at least they were not eye candy
kept on as purely romantic interests. Laura and Karen had roles involving
direct action as opposed to sitting around waiting for their men to return.
Laura's interest in Neil was a bitter twist but she was quite skilled as a
professional despite that. I also agree that the Russian agent was
fantastic.

THe most chauvinistic thing I find is Ross's behavior towards Karen, which
is indeed inexcusable. "Park your best feature" and "Put your clothes on and
get in here" are not professionally appropriate modes of addressing
subordinates, even if she was a very attractive woman. She seemed to give as
good as she got in that relationship, though, although that doesn't mean she
didn't mind the flirting. Ross was the typical American caricature I find so
asinine in British productions, but so what. When you rememeber that drivel
like "Three's Company" was popular in the US while SB was running, I think
SB did a good job with its women characters.

Timothy