FW: chauvinism in SB?

Timothy Keirnan (tim@denver.net)
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 07:48:22 -0600

Tim here again. I had no idea there was a UK series like Man About the
House, but I'm not surprised at the lack of creativity in American tv
studios back then. My point was that Three's Company stands out in my memory
of that period as an example of many US shows which seemed to avoid giving
women roles of any depth such as we find in SB. Instead, women were given
somewhat absurd roles based on how well they could jiggle rather than act. I
don't mean to say no female roles of quality existed in America in the 70s,
just that I can't remember any to compare with the women of SB. Long live SB
which, even though it was a male dominated story, had interesting female
characters who weren't useless ornaments.

Timothy