Re: Sandbaggers tapes OR Is fowl language really needed here ?

Micky DuPree (MDuPree@world.std.com)
Thu, 23 Sep 1999 20:57:15 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 23 Sep 1999, Efrat Kaplan wrote:

> 1. I did not join this list in order to read arrogant messages from you,
> important as you are.
> 2. Don't you pity us, poor folks who happen NOT to HAVE all the fortune
> that you seem to have ?

I have made literally thousands of tapes for other people through the
years, all at no profit to me and not even including any provision for
wear and tear on my machines, which has been considerable.

I made a standing offer when this mailing list was begun to make PAL and
MESECAM copies of _The Sandbaggers_ for others because those are harder
to come by than NTSC copies. Sometime later I made available NTSC
copies to two other people on the condition that they would field the
NTSC requests. I popped back into the list to honor my offer to make
PAL copies, telling that one person to write me privately, which at the
same time signaled the rest of the list that I was taking care of this
request so no one else had to step forward (assuming anyone else could
or would).

For my trouble I was inundated with NTSC requests and then people
whining about my reaction, delicate ears that can't take a mention of
the word 'hell' even though there's much worse than that on _The
Sandbaggers_ itself (oh, and some complete idiot who must think that I'm
making PAL conversions out of thin air because he's quite certain I've
given all my copies away). I'm out of the "business" of mass-producing
tapes. My equipment is in reduced circumstances and my schedule is not
in a position to mass-produce tapes even if I had the equipment to
manage it. Furthermore, I don't even owe any of you an explanation for
why I am not going to mass-produce tapes. Where does this presumption
come from that it is my responsibility to supply the entire world with
tapes or else I'm the villain?

I have taken gratuitous shit from _Sandbaggers_ fandom, starting all the
way back with Michael Macomber declaring I was trying to destroy the
fandom for daring to give him my honest opinion that _Sandbaggers_
fandom would never be as big as _Blake's 7_ fandom, which in turn would
never be as large as _Star Trek_ fandom.

I am so *un*important to _Sandbaggers_ fandom that I am *un*subscribing
from the list. Certainly this relationship has been entirely one-sided
with none of the benefits accruing to me.

-Micky