sandbaggers: Re: Female fans

Re: Female fans

Gayle Feyrer (rca@netcom.com)
Fri, 12 Aug 1994 13:22:17 -0700 (PDT)

On 12 Aug 1994 kyost@nomvs.lsumc.edu wrote:

> On Thursday, 11 August 1994, Ernest wrote:
>
> > Maybe it's a false impression based on too little data, but it seems to
> > be that an unexpected number of the Sandbaggers fans are women (unexpected
> > because spy thriller *books* certainly don't normally sell that much to
> > women).
> >

> I hate to pound the sexist drum, but I honestly believe that most
> women tend to go for character-driven shows (or books). It doesn't
> matter whether the characters are mixed or matched (sex, race, etc.).
> As long as there's some sort of emotional commitment or conflict
> (or angst), the story will keep my interest. That's why most of

I am a fan of Wiseguy and Blakes7 both because some of the
characters stir an erotic interest and I am involved with the emotional
and intellectual themes of the shows. In the case of Sandbaggers, none
of the male characters is a turn on for me, it's purely the intellectual
and emotional involvement. I am also a fan of spy thrillers, if as Karen
said, they are-character driven. Le Carre is one of my favorite writers,
and I also enjoyed Charles McCarry (sort of the American equivalent, if
you've never read him, not as good but much better than most). I read a
lot of mysteries. My tastes cross with my husband's. We're both picky,
but on the far end he can read stuff that's grittier and grimer than I
want to deal with, on the other there are some very good character
oriented mysteries of the English school that don't have enough grit for
him. We both like The Sandbaggers, Le Carre and McCarry, as well as
mystery and thriller writers like Raymond Chandler, Thomas Harris and
Carl Hiaasen.