sandbaggers: Re: Re mental states of characters

Re: Re mental states of characters

Gayle Feyrer (rca@netcom.com)
Fri, 12 Aug 1994 14:03:32 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 12 Aug 1994, Micky DuPree wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Aug 1994, lynn maners wrote:
>
> > I think the thing which we find most fascinating about the Sandbaggers
> > is watching an intelligent and complex man essentially disintegrate under
> > intense pressure. For all of you fans of UKish tv, it's a lot like
> > watching Avon go crazy in Blake's 7, slowly becoming more and more
> > paranoid and out of touch with reality.
>
> I can't agree that either of the characters you mentioned was ever crazy
> or disintegrated. Under pressure, yes, obsessed sometimes, and I'd
> be the first to say that Burnside was a fanatic, a term that perhaps
> I alone wouldn't even apply to Blake. To me, though, Burnside wanted

I don't see Burnside as disintegrating either, though I do see
Avon and Blake as disintegrating under the pressures that their lives
inflict on them (though I don't think they are out of touch with
reality...the Federation is an apalling reality - and this isn't
bothering to go into their personality flaws). I see Neil more as
calcifying, getting harder and colder and possibly more brittle as time
goes on. I can see Neil ending heartless and souless in a way that Blake
or Avon would never be in their worst case scenarios.

Gayle