sandbaggers: Re: Who's more moral?

Re: Who's more moral?

Kenneth W. Crist Jr. (kayuucee@cfar.umd.edu)
Thu, 21 Sep 1995 14:34:57 -0400

On Tue, 19 Sep 1995 08:44:00 -0700, Gayle wrote:

> You might be right - but you might not.

Well, Gayle, if we are going to deal with unlikely
scenarios, we might as well go all out and say that YOU might
be right. Sorry, I can't deal with impossibilities on a Thursday! :-)
Check with me on Monday.

> Wellingham is capable of personal loyalty. He might very well have done
> his best to protect his own agents. Neil's agents are not his own.

Wellingham doesn't get much chance to display loyalty, so I am
only extrapolating from what I see.
1) Mathew Peele is pretty close to an underling to Wellingham.
The chain of command should go Peele --> C --> Wellingham as PS in the
Foreign Office. Wellingham's blatant manipulation of Peele in "Operation
Kingmaker" sure doesn't look like he has any loyalty to Peele. There is
a strong case for Peele to be made C, even though he might not be the
best candidate. Neil is correct when he says that promotion from within
the department would be beneficial to other members of the department.
2) Edward Tyler in "To Hell With Justice". Yes, the man is a
double-agent, but at the time he was only suspected. Neil wanted to
see if there was a chance that a mistake had been made. Wellingham wants
no part of it, prefering to belief the worse. Now, Tyler is acknowledged
as being a brilliant and able D-INT. If a mistake was made and Tyler was
not a double-agent, then Wellingham could have ruined the career of
a competent, highly experienced intelligence officer for political
expediency. That is not the way to inspire loyalty in your underlings.

Wellingham is very loyal to Neil. But he likes Neil, a whole
lot I would say. I wouldn't want my job to hinge on the fact that my
boss "likes" me. I should be judged by how well I do my job, how
knowledgeable I am in my field and do I get things accomplished.
Greenly didn't like Peele, but he was loyal to him.

> But he is a political animal more than Neil.

That is true. And as a political animal his decisions are
usually based on what is expedient, not what is the best long term
decision. Neil's decisions are based on what is the best thing
to defeat the Soviets. As such, a good agent can expect Neil to
be loyal to him. For Wellingham, the lose of good underling can
happen if it becomes expedient.

Ken Crist
kayuucee@cfar.umd.edu