Re: Hello!

paynem@sky2.bskyb.com
Tue, 23 Sep 1997 23:04:00 +0000

Hi Joyce (and Nigel)...

As I said in my first posting, the series is currently airing 5 times a week
on Granada Plus, and is due to finish this Friday. Then it will probably
reappear shortly on a once-weekly basis: much more civilized! Five times a
week is a little hard to keep up with for me..consequently I've missed 3 or
4 episodes. Today's was "My name is Anna Wiseman": powerful stuff.

Actually, I'm amazed that the website and this mailing list exists for what
is such an obscure series...I never expected anything in a million years
when I did the web search! Even among dedicated cult TV enthusiasts (of
which I am one), the series is little-remembered. Certainly I had never
heard of it until I came accross it in a reference book..mind you, I was 7
years old when it first aired! It has definitely made it onto my "favourite
of the genre" list though...that genre being British Videotape espionage
drama. Which brings me neatly on to CALLAN..I can't believe you've never
caught it Joyce: if you like the SANDBAGGERS, you'll love CALLAN. It is one
of my favourite series of all time..sheer quality in all departments..and
the SANDBAGGERS was in many ways it's successor. CALLAN (played by Edward
Woodward, who you'll probably better know as THE EQUALIZER), was a
down-at-heel spy and killer-with-a-conscience, who worked for "The Section",
a clandestine government department that dealt with threats to British
security etc. His boss was always called Hunter, though the man changed
frequently (like C in the SANDBAGGERS)...I suppose Callan was to Hunter what
Willy was to Burnside....almost.
Anyway, the series was made by ABC and later Thames Television, between 1967
and 1972, with a feature film following in 1974 and a reunion play in 1981.
Seek it out..I promise you won't be disappointed because it's even BETTER
than THE SANDBAGGERS! (THAT should provoke a few comments!)

A few more quickies before I go and do some more work:

Fascinating stuff about Ian Mackintosh being missing presumed dead..I had no
idea

If Marsden is wearing a wig in the series, i think it's a pretty good one!

Anyone have any idea of shooting dates for the episodes? It's a bit hardcore
I know, but I am a bona fide television anorak...I even work in it...and
that sort of minutiae fascinates me!

Right..gotta go...hope to hear from some of you soon,

Cheers,

Marcus.