Re: fatalities

Philip H. J. Davies (P.H.J.Davies@reading.ac.uk)
Tue, 7 Oct 1997 12:07:05 +0100 (BST)

On Mon, 6 Oct 1997, Anton Sherwood wrote:

> Maybe it's just dramatic convention, selecting the most exciting
> (dangerous) episodes in what may be years of boredom in the Hutch.
> If it's intentional on the part of the writers, to show that
> Neil's inner demons get people killed more often than normal --
> why didn't Wellingham or C or Peel comment on the bodycount?
> Why didn't Dalgetty raise the issue as a lever?

The series does cover a period of nearly two years, as I recall, so we
really are only seeing the 'highlights', and those from the point of view
of one particular section -- all kinds of pure intelligence coups and
distasters could have been going on elsewhere in Collingstone House.

I do recall relatively early in the series, Burnside comments 'There was
one period where we didn't lose a Sandbagger for -- what -- three years?',
or words to that effect.

Three years really isn't very long at all.

Phil

*
*Zhaodao hao laoshi bu yi -- zhaodao hao xuesheng geng nan.*
It is hard to find a good teacher but even harder to find a good student.
*
(Kuntao Macan) http://www.rdg.ac.uk/AcaDepts/lw/kt/home.htm
(Security & Intelligence Studies) http:// www.rdg.ac.uk/SecInt/
*