sandbaggers: Re: Neil and Secretaries

Re: Neil and Secretaries

kyost@nomvs.lsumc.edu
09 Sep 94 11:52:10 -0700

On Thursday, 8 September 1994, Barry wrote:

(stuff deleted)...
> I finally got the tape from Pat, and watching the final episode, it is so
> clear to me that he was on a self-destructive path ... and while he did get
> sense of perverse pleasure out of it, it was horrifying to see him as
> the *only one* who saw truth...

You're right, Neil can be very scary at times. I enjoyed the last
episode (despite Willie's fate being undetermined) because Neil
was so sure he was *the only one who saw truth.* And then Peele
crawls out of the woodwork, suddenly has brains, and shakes up
Neil up a bit. I think Laura and Diane had the same ability to
stop Neil and make him think, even for a second. Marianne may
have gained that skill over time, but the show never progressed
to that point. Karen and Jeff, on the other hand, made Neil
feel defensive and angry. Willie, I don't know. I think
Neil *needed* Willie. I don't know if it was a personal need
(like friendship) or a psychological need (a stabilizing and
familiar presence).

Let's face it, Neil is a tough nut to crack :-)

Karen Yost